Shivani Ghoshal, MD is an assistant professor of neurology at Columbia University Irving Medical Center in the Division of Critical Care and Hospitalist Neurology. She completed her medical doctorate from Harvard Medical School, her residency in neurology from Yale, and fellowship training in critical care neurology at NewYork-Presbyterian/Columbia University Irving Medical Center and Weill Cornell Medicine. Prior to joining the faculty at Columbia, she was an assistant professor of neurology in the Division of Neurocritical Care at Wake Forest School of Medicine, where she received her neurosonology board certification. Dr. Ghoshal is an expert in the treatment of neurologic emergencies such as subarachnoid hemorrhage, intracerebral hemorrhage, status epilepticus, and neurotrauma. Her research interests focus on neurocritical care education and curricular development. In addition to her clinical and research activities, Dr. Ghoshal serves as an associate program director at Columbia for the Neurocritical Care Fellowship Program at NYP/Columbia and Cornell.
Areas of Expertise / Conditions Treated
- Critical Care
- Assistant Professor of Neurology at CUMC
- NewYork-Presbyterian / Columbia University Irving Medical Center
Schedule an Appointment
- Great West (National)
- Medicare Managed Care
- Essential Plan
- Medicaid Managed Care
- Medicare Managed Care
- Select Care (Exchange)
- Local 1199
- Traditional Medicare
- Special Needs
- Compass (Exchange)
- Empire Plan
- Medicare Managed Care
*Please contact the provider’s office directly to verify that your particular insurance is accepted.
Credentials & Experience
Education & Training
- Harvard Medical School, Columbia
- Internship: Columbia
- Residency: Columbia
- Fellowship: Columbia
Honors & Awards
- 2020 Dementia Alliance of North Carolina Young Investigator Grant. $100,000. Grant period 2020-2022
- 2020 KL2 Mentored Career Development Grant. Wake Forest Baptist Medical Center.
Grant period 2020-2022
- 2019 Cardiovascular Sciences Center Pilot Grant, $20,000. Wake Forest Baptist
- 2017 Neurocritical Care Society Travel Grant recipient
- 2016 Yale New Haven Neurology Resident of the Year
- 2016 First graduate of Yale New Haven Clinician Educator Track
- 2014 Penry Residents Epilepsy Program
- 2011 ANA Medical Student Travel Award recipient. Project: “Migraine-related ICH – A Case Study and Review”
- 2009 NIMH MH/DD Research Education Grant recipient. Project: Repetitive behavior
patterns in autism. Mentor: Dr. Kerim Munir at Children’s Hospital Boston.
Peer Reviewed Journal Articles:
- Ghoshal S, Freedman BI. Renal replacement therapy and dialysis-associated neurovascular injury (DANI) in the Neuro-ICU: A review of pathophysiology and preventative options. Current Treatment Options in Neurology. Accepted Sept 2020
- Ghoshal S, O'Connell NS, Tegeler C, Freedman BI. Cerebral hemodynamics in peritoneal dialysis versus intermittent hemodialysis: A transcranial Doppler pilot study. Peritoneal Dialysis International. 2020 Sept. https://doi.org/10.1177/0896860820953712
- Ghoshal S, Allred ND, Freedman BI. The contribution of kidney disease to cognitive impairment in patients with type 2 diabetes. Current Diabetes Reports. 2020 Aug. 10.1007/s11892-020-01333-9
- Ghoshal S, Gomez JR, Datar SV, Tegeler C, Sarwal A, Freedman B. The Impact of Chronic Kidney Disease on Cerebral Hemodynamics: A Transcranial Doppler Study. Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism. 2020. 40(3): 482-487
- Ghoshal S, Freedman B. Mechanisms of Stroke in Patients with Chronic Kidney Disease. American Journal of Nephrology. Oct 2019; 50: 229-239.
- Ghoshal S, Gomez JR, Sarwal A. Transcranial Doppler Monitoring of Dialysis Disequilibrium in an ESRD Patient with Traumatic Brain Injury. Neurocritical Care. 2020. 32; 353-356.
- Ghoshal S, Gomez JR, Sarwal A. Non-Invasive Intracranial Pressure Monitoring by Serial Transcranial Doppler in Coagulopathic Patient. Neurocritical Care. 2019 Aug; 31(1): 216-221.
- Ghoshal S, Yang V, Brodie D, Radhakrishnan J, Roh, DJ, Park S, Claassen J, Agarwal S. In-hospital survival and neurologic recovery among patients requiring renal replacement therapy in post-cardiac arrest period. Kidney International Reports. 2019 May; 4(5): 674-678
- Ghoshal S, Claassen J. Spreading depolarization and acute ischaemia in subarachnoid haemorrhage: the role of mass depolarization waves. Brain. 2017 Oct 1; 140(10):2527-2529.
- Ghoshal S, Reynolds AS, Claassen J. Cyclic seizures – A clue to seizure termination? Clin ?Neurophysiol. 2017 Jun; 128(6):1034-1036.
- Ghoshal S. NeuroBytes: Non-Invasive Intracranial Pressure Monitoring. American Academy of Neurology. 2019 Sep; https://learning.aan.com/diweb/catalog/item?id=4658730
- Sarma AK, Ghoshal S, Craven S, Sarwal A. Intracerebral Hemorrhage: A Brief Evidence-Based Review of Common Etiologies, Mechanisms of Secondary Injury, and Medical and Surgical Management.
- Ghoshal S, Der Nigoghossian C. Hyperchloremia in the Neurocritically Ill Patient. Neurocritical Care Society Currents magazine. June 28, 2018. https://currents.neurocriticalcare.org/blogs/currents-editor/2018/06/28/hyperchloremia-in-the-neurocritically-ill-patient
- Ghoshal S. “Tele-neurology”. Fundamentals of Telemedicine and Telehealth. Elsevier. Nov 2019.
- Ghoshal S, Sheth KN. “Cerebral Edema and Intracranial Pressure.” Neurocritical Care. Cambridge University Press. June 2019.
- Ghoshal S. “The DECRA Study”. 50 Studies Every Neurologist Should Know. Oxford University Press. May 2016.
- Ghoshal S. “The SANAD Study – Arm B”. 50 Studies Every Neurologist Should Know. Oxford University Press. May 2016.